Robert K. McNamara
Meeting Minutes of 7-1-13,
In attendance: Mayor Ostrander, Trustees Treen, McNamara, Campbell, Woodhouse, CEO Brown, SPW Bechy, VA Getman, DC B McNamara.
Public: S Sambora, P Louise, C&J Stephenson, B&C Supinski, M Sanderson, M Leland, J Brouillette, S Murphy, M Thomas.
2. Approved the minutes of the June 17, 2013 meeting, M Woodhouse, 2nd Treen, carried.
3. Public Hearing for Combined Utility Billing changes, no comments, motion made by Treen to accept changes, 2nd Woodhouse, carried.
4. Approved Abstract #7-1-13 M McNamara, 2nd Woodhouse, carried.
5. Approved Capital Abstract #H7-1-13, M Treen, 2nd McNamara, carried
6. Approved Purchase Orders, M Woodhouse, 2nd Campbell, carried.
7. John Brouillette presented the board with a presentation packet outlining ways to help strengthen the business infrastructure. “Waterville First Initiative”. He said he had met with some other local business people such as Patty Louise from Waterville Times, Lisa Belfield, and Tom Morgan. Their ideas were to survey residents of the village and surrounding areas, possibly a 10 mile circumference, preferably face to face. Trustee Campbell asked about timing and resources. Brouillette felt a tactical plan was needed and would be willing to co-chair a committee.
Steve Murphy added the importance of getting the word out by updating our web page making it more attractive to outsiders, even in a video format (page 3&4 of presentation packet)
Mayor Ostrander commented on the importance of a comprehensive plan to aid in this type of development, suggesting we may want to look into having one done. The village had a strategic plan done in 2010 and told Brouillette a copy would be made available to him to refer to. He also thought that this would be a good time to get the planning board involved, Marcia Thomas was going to take a copy of the packet to Dave O’Brien who is planning board chairman. Trustee Treen suggested the data from the 2010 survey may provide information also. The Board thanked Mr. Brouillette for his presentation.
8. Band stand request for South Gate Ministries for Saturday August 24, 2013- M Treen, 2nd Campbell carried all.
9. Main St Grant applications 11 total. Thoma stated according to their contract 7 were covered under the set fee but each one over would add an additional $2,000.00 per application. It would cost the village an additional $8, 00.00. It was tabled until the original contract was reviewed.
10. Approved Dam decommissioning by Zielinski, M Woodhouse, 2nd McNamara, carried all
11. Approved proposed Handbook changes except for #14 which was tabled for further discussion, M Treen , 2nd Woodhouse, carried all.
12. No old business
13. Public participation, Mr. Stephenson asked how the new dog ordinances were going. Mayor Ostrander replied he was typing up what he had rewritten and was setting up a meeting with new warden from Norwich Corners. M Sanderson asked if the village had a disaster plan in place, and if so could information be sent in next water billing. Mayor responded that the village hall is evacuation meeting place, and would look into getting that information out to the public.
14. COE Brown reported all lawns have been mowed; truck has been removed from property on White St. after 5 years, back yard cleaning was next. The house on Elmwood was being fixed.
Supt. Of Public Works JBechy reported on the wind damage to the top sheeting of the water tank would be needing attention and would get back to the board with a price. Mrs. Wessling on 315 has more rocks moved by the water eroding the shore line. Road project on White St., has been slowed by the weather, three more catch basins to do waiting for tool for 10in valves to complete. WASTA (snowmobile club) called asking for permission to cut trail a trail to reroute away from reservoir, they are willing to do all the work to make assessable. Motion made by Campbell, to allow WASTA to cut trail, 2nd Treen, carried all
Deputy Clerk McNamara asked for board approval for the fire dept to hold games of chance at the 2013 field days, M McNamara, 2nd Campbell.
15. Trustee report- McNamara reported there were still two open dates for concerts – July 17th & 24th
16. Mayor Report – asked Att. Getman if we could announce in paper that Putnam St property was for sale, reply was yes. He asked if it would be to our benefit to set up with Realtor, and it agreed to start with add in paper before getting a realtor.
17. Adjournment, at 8:16 next meeting Monday August 5, 2013